As a veterinarian, I often receive questions from pet owners about the risks associated with certain substances that their pets may come into contact with. One common question that I have received recently is whether dogs can get high from eating raw weed. This is a legitimate concern, as it is not uncommon for dogs to accidentally ingest marijuana. In this article, I will discuss the risks of pets ingesting raw weed, the symptoms to look out for in case of ingestion, and the precautions that pet owners can take to prevent their pets from getting sick.
Understanding the Risks of Raw Weed Ingestion
Marijuana, also called weed, is a psychoactive drug that can cause a high in humans. Dogs, on the other hand, have a different reaction to marijuana. Ingesting raw weed can make dogs sick and cause a range of symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, loss of coordination, lethargy, and in severe cases, seizures. These symptoms can be alarming and require immediate medical attention.
The risk of dogs ingesting raw weed is especially high in states where marijuana is legal for recreational use. Pets may accidentally come into contact with marijuana edibles, such as brownies or gummy bears, which can be tempting for dogs to eat. Pet owners who use marijuana should take extra precautions to ensure that their pets are not exposed to the drug.
Symptoms of Raw Weed Ingestion
If you suspect that your dog has ingested raw weed, you should watch out for the following symptoms:
- Loss of coordination
If your dog exhibits any of these symptoms, you should take them to a veterinarian immediately. Early treatment can prevent the symptoms from worsening and potentially save your pet’s life.
Precautions to Take
Pet owners can take several precautions to prevent their pets from ingesting raw weed. Here are some tips:
- Store marijuana and marijuana edibles in a secure location that is out of reach of pets.
- Keep an eye on your pets when you are using marijuana.
- Do not give marijuana to your pets.
- If you suspect that your pet has ingested marijuana, take them to a veterinarian immediately.
It is important to note that marijuana can be dangerous for pets, and pet owners should take extra precautions to ensure that their pets are not exposed to the drug.
In conclusion, raw weed ingestion can be dangerous for dogs and can cause a range of symptoms, including vomiting, diarrhea, loss of coordination, lethargy, and seizures. Pet owners should take extra precautions to prevent their pets from accidentally ingesting marijuana. If you suspect that your pet has ingested marijuana, take them to a veterinarian immediately for treatment. Remember, prevention is key, and taking simple precautions can prevent your pet from getting sick.
Sure! Here are three popular FAQs with answers regarding the topic of dogs getting high from eating raw weed and precautions to take:
Can dogs get high from eating raw weed?
Yes, dogs can get high from eating raw weed. The THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) in the weed can affect dogs in the same way it affects humans, but at a much stronger and potentially dangerous level. It can cause a range of symptoms, including lethargy, incoordination, vomiting, diarrhea, and even seizures.
What should I do if my dog eats raw weed?
If you suspect that your dog has eaten raw weed, you should contact your veterinarian immediately. They may advise you to monitor your dog’s symptoms and behavior, or they may recommend that you bring your dog in for treatment depending on the severity of the situation. Time is of the essence, so it’s important to act fast.
What precautions should I take to prevent my dog from getting high from raw weed?
The best way to prevent your dog from getting high from raw weed is to keep it out of their reach. Store any weed or cannabis products in a secure place, like a locked cabinet, and dispose of any leftover materials properly. Additionally, be mindful when taking your dog for walks or letting them play outside, as they may come across discarded weed or cannabis products. If you suspect that your dog has ingested any weed or cannabis, seek veterinary attention immediately.