Dangerous Dose: What Happens if Your Dog Eats 200mg Ibuprofen?

As a veterinarian, I often encounter cases where dogs have ingested medications meant for humans. The most common culprits are non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen, which can be found in nearly every household.

Dangerous Dose: What Happens if Your Dog Eats 200mg Ibuprofen?

What is Ibuprofen?

Ibuprofen is a medication commonly used by humans to relieve pain, reduce inflammation, and lower fever. It is available over-the-counter and in prescription strength. Ibuprofen works by blocking the production of prostaglandins, which are chemicals in the body that cause inflammation and pain.

Toxicity in Dogs

While ibuprofen is safe for human consumption, it can be extremely dangerous for dogs. Dogs are much more sensitive to the gastrointestinal and renal effects of NSAIDs. Ingesting just one or two pills of ibuprofen can cause serious harm to a dog.

Symptoms of Ibuprofen Toxicity

The onset of symptoms can occur within hours of ingestion, and can include:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Loss of appetite
  • Abdominal pain
  • Lethargy
  • Blood in vomit or stool

As the toxicity progresses, it can lead to:

  • Kidney failure
  • Seizures
  • Coma
  • Death

Treatment of Ibuprofen Toxicity

If you suspect your dog has ingested ibuprofen, it is important to seek veterinary attention immediately. Treatment will depend on the severity of the toxicity, but may include:

  • Inducing vomiting
  • Administering activated charcoal to absorb the toxin
  • Providing supportive care such as fluids and electrolytes
  • Monitoring renal function
  • Hospitalization for more severe cases


Preventing ibuprofen toxicity is simple. Keep all medications, including over-the-counter medications, out of reach of your pets. If you suspect your pet has ingested any medication, contact your veterinarian immediately.

Remember, what is safe for humans may not be safe for your furry friend. Keep your pet safe and healthy by keeping all medications out of reach.

As a pet owner, it is important to understand the potential dangers of common household medications. Ibuprofen toxicity in dogs can be life-threatening, but with prompt veterinary attention, the prognosis can be good. Be proactive in preventing toxicity by keeping all medications out of reach of pets. If you suspect your pet has ingested any medication, contact your veterinarian immediately.


Q: Can ibuprofen be fatal for dogs?
A: Yes, ibuprofen can be fatal for dogs if consumed in large amounts. The toxic dose of ibuprofen varies depending on the dog’s size and weight, but generally, 200mg per kilogram of body weight can be lethal.

Q: What are the symptoms of ibuprofen toxicity in dogs?
A: The symptoms of ibuprofen toxicity in dogs include vomiting, diarrhea, stomach ulcers, decreased appetite, lethargy, abdominal pain, increased thirst and urination, seizures, and even kidney and liver failure in severe cases.

Q: What should I do if my dog accidentally ingests ibuprofen?
A: If your dog accidentally ingests ibuprofen, you should contact your vet immediately. Do not induce vomiting or give any medications without the vet’s advice, as this could make the situation worse. The vet may recommend treatment options based on the severity and symptoms of the ibuprofen toxicity, including hospitalization, blood work, and supportive care.

Scroll to Top