Dangers of Dogs Eating Ants: What You Need to Know

Dangers of Dogs Eating Ants: What You Need to KnowDangers of Dogs Eating Ants: What You Need to Know


Dogs are known for their love of exploring, and sometimes, that exploration includes trying new things. One of the things that dogs may try to eat is ants. While this may seem harmless, it can actually be dangerous for dogs. In this article, we will examine the dangers of dogs eating ants and what you need to know about keeping your furry friend safe.

Why Dogs Eat Ants

Dogs may eat ants for several reasons, including boredom, curiosity, or even hunger. Ants are high in protein and may be a tempting snack for dogs. However, it’s important to know that some ants can be toxic to dogs, and even non-toxic ants can cause health problems.

Dangers of Dogs Eating Ants

Here are some of the dangers of dogs eating ants:

  • Toxicity: Some ants, such as fire ants, can be toxic to dogs. If a dog ingests a large amount of fire ants, they can experience symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, and difficulty breathing. In severe cases, fire ant stings can even be fatal.
  • Choking Hazard: Ants are small and can easily be swallowed whole, leading to a choking hazard for dogs.
  • Allergic Reactions: Dogs can be allergic to ants, just like humans. If a dog has an allergic reaction to ants, they may experience symptoms such as itching, swelling, and difficulty breathing.
  • Digestive Problems: Even non-toxic ants can cause digestive problems for dogs. Ants are high in formic acid, which can irritate a dog’s digestive system and lead to vomiting and diarrhea.

Prevention Tips

Here are some tips for preventing your dog from eating ants:

  • Keep Your Yard Clean: Regularly clean up food scraps and other debris from your yard to discourage ants from forming colonies in your yard.
  • Train Your Dog: Train your dog to stay away from ants and other insects. Reward good behavior with treats and praise.
  • Supervise Outside Time: Supervise your dog when they are outside to ensure they are not eating anything they shouldn’t.
  • Use Ant Repellents: Use ant repellents around your home and yard to keep ants away.

What to Do If Your Dog Eats Ants

If your dog eats ants, here’s what you should do:

  • Monitor Your Dog: Keep an eye on your dog for any symptoms of toxicity, such as vomiting, diarrhea, or difficulty breathing.
  • Call Your Vet: If you suspect your dog has ingested toxic ants, call your vet immediately. They may recommend bringing your dog in for treatment or monitoring.
  • Provide Comfort: If your dog is experiencing digestive problems from eating ants, provide comfort by offering small amounts of water and bland food.


While dogs may be curious about ants, it’s important to keep them away from these tiny insects. Ants can be toxic, cause choking hazards, and lead to digestive problems for dogs. By following the prevention tips outlined in this article, you can help keep your furry friend safe and healthy.


Q: Are ants toxic to dogs?
A: Most species of ants are not toxic to dogs. However, some ants can cause allergic reactions or irritation to your dog’s skin, mouth, or digestive system. Fire ants and harvester ants are known to be more aggressive and can cause more severe reactions.

Q: Can my dog get sick from eating ants?
A: Eating a few ants might not cause any harm to your dog. However, if your dog ingests a large number of ants, it could lead to gastrointestinal upset such as vomiting, diarrhea, or abdominal pain. Also, if your dog has an allergic reaction to ants, it could cause swelling, hives, or even anaphylaxis.

Q: How can I prevent my dog from eating ants?
A: The best way to prevent your dog from eating ants is to keep them away from ant nests or food sources. You can also treat your yard or outdoor areas with pet-safe ant repellents or insecticides. Additionally, training your dog with the “leave it” command can help prevent them from eating anything they shouldn’t.

Scroll to Top