Emergency! My Dog Ate Chocolate: What To Do?

As a veterinarian, one of the most common emergencies we see in our clinic is when a dog ingests chocolate. Chocolate contains a chemical called theobromine, which can be toxic to dogs in large amounts. The amount of theobromine varies depending on the type of chocolate and the size of the dog, but it’s important for dog owners to know what to do in case of an emergency.

Emergency! My Dog Ate Chocolate: What To Do?Emergency! My Dog Ate Chocolate: What To Do?

Symptoms of Chocolate Poisoning

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning in dogs can vary depending on the amount and type of chocolate ingested. The most common symptoms include:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Increased thirst
  • Restlessness
  • Rapid breathing
  • Muscle tremors
  • Increased heart rate
  • Seizures

It’s important to note that not all dogs will exhibit these symptoms, and some may experience more severe symptoms such as coma or death with high levels of theobromine in their systems.

What To Do If Your Dog Eats Chocolate

If you suspect that your dog has eaten chocolate, it’s important to take action immediately. Here are the steps you should follow:

1. Assess the Situation

Determine the type and amount of chocolate that your dog has ingested. If possible, take note of the brand, type, and percentage of cocoa.

2. Call Your Veterinarian

Contact your veterinarian immediately for advice. They may ask you for more information about the chocolate, your dog’s weight, and any symptoms that they are exhibiting.

3. Monitor Your Dog

Keep an eye on your dog for any symptoms of chocolate poisoning. If they begin to exhibit any of the symptoms listed above, take them to the veterinarian immediately.

4. Seek Veterinary Care

If your veterinarian advises you to bring your dog in for treatment, it’s important to do so right away. Treatment may include inducing vomiting, administering activated charcoal, or hospitalization for supportive care.

Prevention is Key

The best way to prevent chocolate poisoning in dogs is to keep all chocolate and chocolate-containing products out of reach. This includes items such as baking chocolate, cocoa powder, and chocolate-covered raisins. If you have a pet that is prone to getting into things they shouldn’t, consider keeping them in a crate or confined area when you are not home.


While chocolate poisoning in dogs can be a scary and potentially life-threatening situation, with prompt veterinary attention, most dogs will make a full recovery. The key is to act quickly and call your veterinarian for advice. Remember, prevention is always better than cure, so keep all chocolate and chocolate-containing products out of reach of your furry friends.


Q: How poisonous is chocolate for dogs?
A: Chocolate is toxic to dogs because it contains a chemical compound called theobromine, which their bodies cannot metabolize as efficiently as humans. The amount of theobromine in chocolate depends on the type of chocolate and the amount ingested by the dog, but even small amounts can cause symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, restlessness, and seizures.

Q: What should I do if my dog ate chocolate?
A: If your dog ate chocolate, the first thing to do is to contact your veterinarian or an emergency animal hospital. They can determine the severity of the poisoning and provide appropriate treatment. If you can, try to find out what type of chocolate your dog ingested and how much, as this information will be helpful for your vet.

Q: Can I induce vomiting in my dog if they ate chocolate?
A: Inducing vomiting in your dog should only be done under the guidance of a veterinarian. Depending on the situation, vomiting may not be the best course of action and could even make things worse. Additionally, some methods of inducing vomiting (such as giving hydrogen peroxide) can be dangerous if done incorrectly. It’s always best to seek professional advice in these situations.

Scroll to Top