Stick Ingestion in Dogs: What You Need to Know

Dogs are known for their curious nature and tendency to chew on almost anything they can get their paws on. Unfortunately, this can sometimes lead to them accidentally ingesting things that are harmful or even life-threatening. One common item that dogs may ingest is sticks. While it may not seem like a big deal, stick ingestion can have serious consequences.

Stick Ingestion in Dogs: What You Need to Know

Why Do Dogs Eat Sticks?

There are several reasons why dogs may chew on and ingest sticks, including:

  • Boredom: Dogs who are not adequately mentally stimulated may resort to chewing on sticks as a way to pass the time.
  • Natural Instincts: Some dogs have a natural urge to chew and may seek out sticks to satisfy this need.
  • Nutritional Deficiencies: In some cases, dogs may chew on sticks because they are lacking certain nutrients in their diet.

What Are the Risks of Stick Ingestion?

While chewing on sticks may seem harmless, it can actually pose several risks to your dog’s health. These risks include:

  • Choking: Pieces of sticks can break off and get stuck in the dog’s throat, causing choking.
  • Blockages: If a dog swallows a stick or a large piece of a stick, it can cause a blockage in the digestive tract. This can lead to serious complications, such as intestinal damage or even death.
  • Mouth and Throat Injuries: Chewing on sticks can cause cuts and injuries to the mouth and throat, which can become infected.

Signs of Stick Ingestion

If you suspect that your dog has ingested a stick, it is important to monitor them closely for any signs of distress. Some common signs of stick ingestion in dogs include:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Lethargy
  • Loss of appetite
  • Difficulty breathing

What to Do If Your Dog Ingests a Stick

If you suspect that your dog has ingested a stick, it is important to seek veterinary care immediately. Your veterinarian may perform diagnostic tests, such as X-rays or ultrasounds, to determine if there is a blockage in the digestive tract. Treatment may include:

  • Surgery: If a blockage is found, surgery may be necessary to remove the stick or other foreign object.
  • Medication: Depending on the severity of the blockage, your veterinarian may prescribe medication to help the dog pass the stick naturally.
  • IV Fluids: If the dog is dehydrated, IV fluids may be necessary to restore hydration and prevent further complications.

How to Prevent Stick Ingestion

The best way to prevent stick ingestion in dogs is to keep them away from sticks whenever possible. Here are some tips to help prevent stick ingestion:

  • Provide plenty of mental and physical stimulation to prevent boredom.
  • Offer safe chew toys and bones to satisfy the dog’s natural urge to chew.
  • Supervise your dog when they are outside and remove any sticks or other objects that may be tempting for them to chew on.
  • Train your dog to “leave it” when they encounter something they should not be chewing on.


While stick ingestion may seem like a minor issue, it can lead to serious health complications for dogs. By understanding the risks, signs, and treatment options for stick ingestion, you can help keep your furry friend safe and healthy. Remember to always seek veterinary care if you suspect that your dog has ingested a stick, and take steps to prevent stick ingestion whenever possible.


Q: My dog loves to chew on sticks. Should I be worried about stick ingestion?
A: Yes, stick ingestion can be dangerous for dogs. Splinters can cause damage to the mouth, throat, and digestive tract, and shards of the stick can become lodged in the intestines, causing blockages. Stick ingestion can also result in bacterial infections and internal bleeding.

Q: What are the symptoms of stick ingestion in dogs?
A: Symptoms of stick ingestion in dogs can include vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, lethargy, abdominal pain, and difficulty defecating. If you suspect your dog has ingested a stick, it is important to bring them to the vet immediately.

Q: How is stick ingestion treated in dogs?
A: Treatment will depend on the severity of the ingestion. In mild cases, the vet may induce vomiting or give the dog medication to help pass the stick. In more severe cases, surgery may be required to remove the stick from the digestive tract. Antibiotics may also be prescribed to prevent infection. It is important to seek veterinary care as soon as possible to minimize the risk of complications.

Scroll to Top